How to Save Content from Office Documents into SharePoint 2010

+ 1
  kbnotes's Photo
Posted Mar 14 2010 07:36 AM

I thought I'd share this information from the forthcoming "Microsoft® SharePoint® Foundation 2010 Inside Out" by Errin O'Connor:

SharePoint Foundation 2010 and Windows 7 offer several ways to save content directly into SharePoint. The File Open and File Save As dialog boxes are the most popular and well-known options for saving content, and they will continue to be the most popular methods to save content directly into SharePoint. To save content directly into SharePoint, follow these steps:

1. In any Microsoft Office program, choose Open or Save As from the File menu.
2. There are several options for locating the SharePoint site in which you would like to save your content.

• In Windows 7, type or paste the site’s URL into the File Location box in the Microsoft Office application’s Save As window.
  • Click Computer and then double-click a SharePoint site that was saved as a network location.
  • In Windows XP, click My Network Places in the Save As dialog box to view the saved network places of any SharePoint sites.

3. The Save As dialog box should switch into Web view, displaying the Site’s Content. All the site’s document libraries will be displayed in addition to all related sites and workspaces.
4. Double-click the library that you would like to open and browse to the appropriate location within the library to save your file. In this example, the file is being saved at the top level of the document library. The user is able to view the other files that exist within the library.
5. If you originally chose File Open, you would follow the same procedure as in steps 1 through 4.

• If you chose Save As and want to overwrite an existing file, double-click that file. Otherwise, type in the file name you would like assign to the file and then click the Save button.

Saving documents directly from Microsoft Office to SharePoint is a best practice for information workers because doing so allows for one copy to be stored within a document library or SharePoint site. This builds on the “one version of the truth” concept for content because you are not saving it to your computer and then later uploading it to SharePoint.

0 Replies