What are the best screen protectors for the iPad?

kenyarmosh's Photo
Posted Apr 04 2010 09:27 PM

The first thing I noticed about my iPad was its awesome display...covered in fingerprints. I am a big fan of BodyGuardz, using their screen / body protectors for my iPhone. They are releasing a new product for the iPad starting today (4/5/10) and knowing their work, it probably is going to be a strong option.

What iPad screen protector are you using and do you like it? Will you taint your iPad with a screen protector or just continually wipe it down?

Tags:
0 Subscribe

9 Replies

+ 2
  msilver's Photo
Posted Apr 05 2010 12:18 AM

I don't think I'll ever use a screen protector. If you are trying to keep fingerprints off of an object you touch constantly, just give up. The screen protectors I've tried on the iPhone seem to reduce some of the responsiveness of the interface, and they usually get fingerprints just as bad as the glass itself.

Anytime I see someone or hear about someone who is about to spend some dough (or even has spent dough) on a protector for their iPod, I take my keys out of my pocket and rub them on the screen, usually receiving some shocked looks in return. My iPhones' screens have never been scratched by this. All of the people I've talked to that have had damaged screens... the damage and the way in which it was caused is always way beyond the tolerance or functionality of a thin film coating on the glass. Usually it involves dropping or falling onto or sitting onto the iPod or iphone. One friend was straddling a fence, with the phone in the back-pocket of his jeans, and while it didn't break the glass, it did break the screen underneath.
  macslocum's Photo
Posted Apr 05 2010 06:19 AM

I've also given up on the whole idea of screen covers. Like mousepads, they only offer psychological protection.
------------------
Mac Slocum
Online Managing Editor
 : Apr 09 2010 09:57 AM
I really like the Bodyguardz protection, but agree about the screen. I use the Bodyguardz for the back but not the screen on both my iphone and am about to apply one to my new iPad. My main concern is resale value, as Im sure to be upgrading often.

I know I don't like the Bodyguardz screen protector, because its a thick plastic. It tends to have some strange effects when viewing the screen, and doesn't really have a pleasant feel. Some of the super thin anti glair screens they sell at the apple store are nice (haven't seen them for the iPad yet, not even in the apple store). I think they do help a bit with finger prints, and can make sliding your finger when gaming a bit easier.

Its a touchy (pun) subject, and I wouldn't buy another screen protector unless I could touch it first. Like its been said, I may not even bother with the screen, just the back.
 : Apr 11 2010 02:32 PM
I use DLO anti-glare Surface Shields on my iPhone because glare is something that really does bother me. I'd like to see an anti-glare, or even a privacy screen protector for the ipad. I'm not worried about damaging the screen so much as I am getting functionality out of anything that I put on the screen.

I have to agree msilver on the ruggedness/fragility of the iPhone. I get the impression that you really have to beat on one to damage it. Case in point: my friend's iPhone flew out of her pocket while she was doing 35 MPH on her Vespa. She went back and found her phone working and intact - still playing the music she had been listening to. It got maybe one or two scratches on the back for the "adventure."
  Jerry Parshall's Photo
Posted Apr 29 2010 04:07 AM

I currently use the Zagg and do not like either its feel or the application. (It's also not antiglare.) In the application I was spoiled by the Power Support antiglare protector for the iPhone. Power Support's iPhone product is slightly stiff and fairly easy to apply/align. I've written to PS asking whether their iPad product is the same stuff - so far no response after 3 days.

I'm seriously considering other commentors' advice that a screen protector isn't necessary, but I really like the antiglare.
 : May 04 2010 02:32 PM
Don't waste your money on screen protectors. Apparently Apple banned them from the Apple Store too.
  MBits's Photo
Posted May 07 2010 09:41 AM

I’ve used many screen protectors on my gadgets and while I generally stick to the clear ones and not the anti-glare, for the iPad I would highly recommend getting an Anti-Glare. I use it for the following reasons:

1. The iPad’s glossy screen is beautiful and all but very difficult to read in certain situations, like when there's light being reflected to your eyes coming from the outdoors through a window or an indoor light source. The Anti-Glare’s matte finish helps to defuse the light so it’s not reflected strait into your eyes.

2. The glossy finish on the screen is a huge fingerprint magnet. But with an anti-glare, you won’t run into the problem of fingerprints or smudges.

As for what company you should go for, I would recommend BoxWave’s ClearTouch. In my experience, you DO get what you pay for. I’ve used several different brands, many of them are cheap and low quality. I’ve learned my lesson. I decided to go with a well recognized brand for my iPad. The quality and clarity of their screen protectors is amazing and unmatched! Since the iPad’s screen is glossy I went with the anti-glare version. It significantly cuts down on the glare and another bonus is that it reduces fingerprints from the screen from all that tapping and touching!

BoxWave ClearTouch Anti-Glare - iPad screen protector

Installation was easy. Just make sure you have scotch tape in case you get dust or lint stuck under the side that adheres to the screen. The sticky side of the tape is a great way to remove any specks of lint or dust that may get trapped, causing air bubbles. In case you accidentally get A LOT of dust trapped underneath, the ClearTouch is nice because you can wash it off with a little soap and water.

Some people say Invisible Shield is good, but I noticed that their screen protectors have an “orange skin” (aka “orange peel”) like texture to it which makes the screen look somewhat distorted. It also feels rubbery to the touch, which makes it difficult to swipe around the screen. While I’d recommend them for maybe a phone, I don’t for the iPad. For me personally I always seem to go back to BoxWave.
  sanssoleil's Photo
Posted Jun 26 2012 12:27 AM

Very useful ideas and tips concerning screen protector iPad installation. In general, I think that screen protectors are very useful and helpful, because they keep iPad screen clean, without scratches and fingerprints. Here some tips and useful pieces of adviceconcerning iPad protection, too)
  DubMan's Photo
Posted Dec 19 2012 06:50 PM

Just because Apple bans them from their stores doesn't mean they are useless. Screen protectors absorb many bumps and scratches. I am sure even a little scratch on your iPad will make you upset.

If you need help choosing an iPad screen protector then read the reviews left by people. This article is useful:
Top 5 iPad Screen Protectors article

There are plenty of reviews and variety to choose from. I would recommend one that does not have a sticky residue on it.