How to prepare yourself for PMP Examination?

+ 3
  Professional24's Photo
Posted Aug 09 2013 03:27 AM

What is PMP and PMI

PMP stands for Project Management Professional. It’s the name of the certificate awarded to anyone who scores more than the required passing mark in the PMP Exam. So if you successfully pass the PMP Exam, you become a Project Management Professional i.e. PMP.

PMI stands for Project Management Institute. PMI is based in the USA and it has a local chapter across the globe. So, if you are based in Singapore, you can look for a PMI chapter in Singapore. Such local chapters conduct regular knowledge sharing and networking session for people interested in Project Management. If you need more information about the PMI, you can check out their website, www.pmi.org

Application Requirements for the PMP® Exam

The prerequisite depends upon person’s formal education. For bachelor degree holder, they have to have at least 4500 hours (3 years) of Project Management experience and for someone whose highest formal education is High school degree, its 7500 hours(5 years) of Project management experience.Lastly, one also has to show proof of attending 35 hours of Project Management Training just before writing the PMP exam.

There are many Project Management Training companies, who are PMI REP. PMI REP training institute means, these training companies are registered with PMI as Registered Education Provider. If you attend their 35 hour contact training, they give you 35 PMI contact hours certificate. You can use their certificate and submit that as a proof to PMI.

Let me also inform you that, one has to submit proof of everything (i.e. your educational Degree, your Project Management Experience, etc) to PMI while submitting the online application for taking up the exam. PMI randomly audits such submission from time to time. So, If you do not meet the prerequisite and still go ahead and submit the online exam application, there are chances of you getting caught. PMI disqualifies such application.

Also, once your online application for taking up the exam gets approved, PMI sends an Authorization letter. You must write the exam, within a year of getting the Authorization letter.

PMP Exam Syllabus

There are three terms I would like to introduce here.

First, let’s see what Process Group is. The whole Project Management discipline is divided into five broad Process group, they are Project Initiation, Project Planning, Project Execution, Project Monitoring & Control and Project Closing.
When a new Project starts, it’s in the Project Initiation phase, from Initiation, it moves to Planning, than to Execution and Monitoring & Control and finally its closed. Project Execution and Project Monitoring & Control processes go hand in hand.

Knowledge Area : As per PMBOK, There are 10 Knowledge areas. Knowledge area is a set of specific processes required to be performed to meet a project objective. A Knowledge area may have some processes to be done in Project Planning Process Group and some other processes to be done in Project Monitoring & Control Process Group.

Lastly there are 47 process areas.m For now, just remember that there are 5 process groups, 10 knowledge areas and 47 project management processes as per PMBOK 5th edition.

About the PMP ® Exam

Now, let me tell you more about the PMP Exam. It’s a four hour exam consisting of 200 questions. Out of this 200, 25 questions are not scored. But beware; you will not know what these 25 questions are! So you should answer all 200 questions, with the same seriousness. PMI includes these questions to see how many test takers are getting them right. Based on this, they might decide to include these questions in future Exam. It’s like a survey conducted by PMI.

Note that, there is no negative marking, i.e. you don’t get penalized for wrong answer. So you should attempt all questions. If you are not sure about a question, you can “Mark it for Review” and revisit that question at the end of the exam, if you have spare time.

The questions in PMP exam are related to various different aspects of the Project Management. These aspects are Project Initiation, Project Planning, Project Executing, Project Monitoring & Control and Project Closure. The Percentage of questions from each of these aspects is listed on the table. We call these aspects as Process Groups.

PMI grades students on each of the Five Process Groups and based on this grading they declare PMP pass or fail. How many grades one has to score to pass the PMP exam is not made public by PMI. The grading is Proficient, Below Proficient and Moderately Proficient in each of the Five Process Groups.

This was all for the introduction to PMP examination. I hope this post must have cleared doubts of many people who wanted to know more about PMP examination and its eligibility criteria.

Simplilearn (Global REP 3147 of PMI) has trained more than 75,000+ professionals across 150+ countries, including training aspirants from the world's leading Fortune 500 companies who have used our learning methodology to grow their careers.

Have some questions? Write back to me for further assistance. I'll be pleased to hear back from you.
Sophia Grace
Customer Relationship Manager
sophia@simplilearn.com
Simplilearn Solutions

0 Replies