Analyzing Office Files for Appropriate Renaming

novicenab's Photo
Posted Apr 13 2010 04:53 PM

I suffered a big data loss a little while ago and after a long while I was able to recover most of the lost files. The catch is, I was unable to recover the directory structures or filenames. For example, instead of my Word documents being in their respective folders with names like `MyResume.doc` and `moviescript.doc`, I have (after recovery) one folder with all my Word docs in it, and they are named "File0001.doc" through "FileXXXX.doc". The same situation exists for all my Excel, Powerpoint, Acrobat, etc. files too.

Rather than sift through all these documents, I want to figure out if there's a way to write some sort of script or program that could go through each .doc, .xls, and .ppt, file in a given directory or volume and read, say, the first 5 words of the body text from the file and rename the file based on that string?

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer or a scripter of any skill, so I have no idea where even to begin, but I'm willing to learn what I need to in order to do this if I can get pointed in the right direction. I'm determined to figure out a faster way than clicking through all 150,000 files and reading/renaming them manually. Any help would be great.

Tags:
0 Subscribe

0 Replies