I cannot upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 via the Store!

the_other's Photo
Posted Oct 18 2013 05:12 AM

I cannot upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 using the Store. I have a legal and activated Windows 8 installation. I know that the update should appear in Windows Store. However, nothing appears on my PC. I already tried to reinstall Windows 8 from scratch and the check the Store. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Tags:
0 Subscribe

1 Reply

+ 1
  Corporate Geek's Photo
Posted Oct 18 2013 05:33 AM

There are several reasons why you might not see the update available in the Windows Store. Some editions of Windows 8 don’t support the free update to Windows 8.1. These include:
- Windows 8 Enterprise
- Editions of Windows 8 Pro that are installed by enterprises using KMS activation
- Editions of Windows 8 that are installed using an MSDN ISO, and activated using multiple activation keys

See here the official communication from Microsoft: Why can't I find the update in the Store?

If you have purchased a retail copy of Windows 8 or you have bought a PC with it preinstalled, you should be eligible for the upgrade. But you still need to meet the following conditions:

- You should log on with a Microsoft account. Local accounts can't be used for the upgrade process.
- You must have your Windows 8 installation up-to-date with the latest updates. If you just installed Windows 8 and you want to upgrade it, without going through the tons of updates available for it... you can't upgrade to Windows 8.1.
- You should have 20 GB of empty space for the 64-bit edition of Windows 8.1 and 16GB of empty space for the 32-bit edition of Windows 8.1, on the partition where Windows 8 is installed. This space will be used to download and install the Windows 8.1 update.
- Your Windows 8 installation must be activated. If it isn't, the update won't be available in the Windows Store.

If you are looking for a very complete, step by step upgrade guide, check this one here: How to Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store.