5 ways to sort photos on the iPad

+ 1
  macslocum's Photo
Posted Apr 23 2010 05:01 AM

Here's a tip included in O'Reilly's upcoming title "iPad: The Missing Manual."

Before you begin ...

You'll need to check off a few boxes in iTunes in order to get full functionality. Go to iTunes > your iPad > Photos tab. From there, you can select the sorting options detailed below.

The iPad organizes your picture collection in up to five ways -- if you happen to use all the features of iPhoto '09 on the Mac. After you open the iPad's Photos app, tap the buttons at the top of the window to see the ways you can sort your photos:

Attached Image

Photos -- This view displays thumbnails of all your pictures lumped together one place. If you didn't group your images into albums before you transferred them, they show up all together here.

Albums -- If you ticked off boxes for individual albums in the iTunes window, tap the Albums button to see those picture sets grouped under the same names as they were in your PC or Mac photo program.

Events -- Mac folks using recent versions of iPhoto or Aperture can also sort photos into Events. (Events are a way iPhoto automatically organizes images, like pictures taken on the same day.) Tap the Events button on the iPad to see any of these sets synced from the Mac.

Faces -- Apple introduced a face-recognition feature in iPhoto ‘09 that automatically groups photos based on the people in them. If you use this feature on the Mac, iTunes gives you the option to sync entire albums of just one person. Then you can find your Cate or Zachary photo sets when you tap the Faces button on the iPad.

Places -- If you geotag your photos -- by shooting them with a GPS-enabled camera or by manually placing them on a map with tools in iPhoto '09 -- your pictures appear in the Places area based on their geographic coordinates. Tap Places to see your photo sets stuck to a world map with virtual red push-pins.

In album form, your picture sets look like a stack of loose photographs clumped in a sloppy pile. Tap one of the piles with a fingertip and the photos disperse and snap into grid where you can see each one as a small thumbnail image. If you're not quite sure what photo is in which album pile, pinch and spread your fingers over a pile to see a quick animated preview of its contents without opening the album all the way.

Related:

iPhoto '09: The Missing Manual

Learn more about this topic from iPhoto '09: The Missing Manual.

Intuitive as iPhoto '09 may be, it still has the power to confuse anyone. This updated Missing Manual offers clear and objective guidance on every iPhoto feature, including new tools such as face recognition, place recognition based on GPS data, themed slideshows, online sharing, enhanced editing, and travel maps. You'll find step-by-step instructions, along with many undocumented tips and tricks. Find out why it's the top-selling iPhoto book.

See what you'll learn

Tags:
0 Subscribe

5 Replies

: Apr 23 2010 01:23 PM
Does the Faces sort happen on the iPad itself or within iPhoto?
 : Apr 26 2010 05:02 AM
I believe Faces is managed on the iPhoto side. The iPad treats it like another album -- it's just categorized under the Faces tab.
------------------
Mac Slocum
Online Managing Editor
 : Apr 27 2010 12:59 PM
Mac's got it right--you have iPhoto do the face recognition, the iPad picks up the info from imported photos.
+ 1
  TobyWoby's Photo
Posted Jun 10 2010 09:45 AM

I was having trouble getting the faces and places button to show up on my iPad. It worked on my iPhoto but the information didn't transfer over to my iPad (The buttons were not available). But once I updated my iPhoto through software updates it solved the problem. I hope this helps anyone who is in the same situation as I was.
  andykeating's Photo
Posted Oct 28 2010 11:24 PM

There is an iPad app named sortshot which can be helpful to you as it is Quicker an easy way of image retrieval through unique photo and video tagging. Tagging options include personalized keywords, ratings, favorites, or type of media – photo or video. Tapping on a tag provides instant results so that we can further refine our search with additional tags and keywords.

sort photos ipad