Do you have iPad Wi-Fi connectivity problems?

filmbilly's Photo
Posted Apr 27 2010 09:10 AM

I have problems with my iPad recognizing Wi-Fi signals. My laptop works perfectly at locations where the iPad has erratic or no reception at all. I have been researching and determined that Apple has acknowledged the problem and is coming forth with a possible solution. In the meantime one of the strangest solutions (that seems to work) is to set the iPad's brightness to it's maximum setting. Apple's forums are lit up with frustrations around this issue. Have you found a software or firmware update that works for you?

Tags:
2 Subscribe

6 Replies

: Apr 27 2010 09:58 AM
I bet it has something to do with the internet service and router that you are connected to.

I asked a similar question and received an excellent answer from Matt Silver.

I followed the directions at home and have no more problems.
+ 1
  bjepson's Photo
Posted Apr 27 2010 11:31 AM

I find that it constantly drops the connection on access points configured with WEP. It doesn't have a problem with WPA2 or unsecured APs.
 : Apr 27 2010 12:36 PM
I actually experienced an issue I first read about elsewhere, that Princeton University reported in this article.

It happened to me at home, and I didn't really think anything of it at the time. My computer, after I'd restarted, said that the IP address it was trying to use was already reserved for something else, and it turned out the something else was my iPad. I didn't know what that was about at the time, and it didn't matter if my computer's IP was changed to something else, so I ignored it, until I saw a reference to that Princeton article on a tech blog.
  RentalLease's Photo
Posted May 09 2012 06:00 PM

yes, apple has reported that some ipad's have a wifi malfunction, bring it to the nearest apple store
  Rob91B's Photo
Posted Jun 15 2012 11:49 AM

I was very happy when I got my hands on the new iPad. I didn't notice this at first, but when I took the tablet into my backyard, and my iPhone was able to pick up my router signal without a hassle; the iPad didn't pick up the network at all. This became a nightmare for me. A friend suggested trying the "Forget This Network" reset method, which used to work on the older models, but this didn't improve the wifi range at all. In the end though, I found a couple of reviews of Pong Research's cases www.pongresearch.com , that convinced me to give it a try. This case is built with an antenna in between layers of the back cover, which redirects and boosts the power of the signal and increases the range of the wifi antenna on the iPad. After getting one, I couldn't be happier with my new toy! This finally fixes my problem with the new iPad 3 poor wifi reception . I also enjoy a lot the Origami Smart Cover it comes with, which besides providing the classic sleep/awake function, folds and allows you to stand the iPad on 5 different positions.
  camellefoster's Photo
Posted Jun 26 2012 05:53 AM

Hi there! I have also experience the same problem with my ipad. Wel,, based on my research, this is a common issue for ipad's. And so as a work around I tend to reset it. I disconnect it and connect again. For times this helps, at times this don't. At times I also restart my ipad and this works most of the time. Try reading this thread for the same issue : http://www.techyv.co...t-connect-wi-fi Hope this helps!