How to wirelessly transfer files to the iPad

macslocum's Photo
Posted May 10 2010 05:29 AM

The iPad's built-in document management is kludgy. Even finding the document tools is a chore (they're under the Apps tab in iTunes, way down there at the bottom).

But there's an alternative. With $0.99 and a little effort, you can wirelessly (and easily) transfer documents to the iPad. Here's how:

1. Sign up for a free Dropbox account.

2. Install GoodReader on your iPad. It's $0.99 well spent.

3. Launch GoodReader. Select the Connect to Servers menu. Select Add and then select Dropbox.

Attached Image

4. Configure the Dropbox settings in GoodReader: Readable Title can be whatever you like ("My Dropbox Account," "My Stuff," "Fred" -- anything). The User and Password fields need to match your Dropbox credentials. Click Add when finished.

Attached Image

5. Your Dropbox account should now appear under GoodReader's Connect to Servers menu. Select it and GoodReader will display your Dropbox files.

6. Navigate to the file(s) you want to transfer to your iPad. Select them and GoodReader will begin the transfer. Close out of the Dropbox menu and you'll see your transferred files under the My Documents pane. Select a file and start reading.

Attached Image

Additional notes:

-- GoodReader can also connect to MobileMe, Google Docs, box.net and WebDAV-based servers.

-- GoodReader has a built-in Wi-Fi tool that lets you wirelessly transfer documents to an iPad from a desktop or laptop. It's not the easiest thing to use, but it works very well.

-- You cannot can use GoodReader to directly transfer files from the iPad to Dropbox. As GSWoods noted in the comments (thanks!), here's how you do it: Go to Manage Files, select the file you want to transfer, click Copy, go to the Connect to Servers tab and select your Dropbox account. In the pop-up menu, click the Paste button. It's not exactly drag and drop, but it'll do in a pinch.

Related:

Tags:
0 Subscribe

11 Replies

: May 10 2010 06:02 AM
Dropbox is great. I've used it to sync files across computers for a while now, and I was thrilled to see such a solid (and still free) iPad implementation.

It's worth noting that some file formats don't even require GoodReader for the transfer. I'm not sure which formats this works with, but I selected a Pages document from my Dropbox folder and was prompted to open the file directly in Pages, without any additional steps.
 : May 10 2010 10:49 AM
Regarding your caveat about uploading to Dropbox, GoodReader is capable of doing this. You first have to go to "Manage Files" in the GoodReader menu and select the files you want to transfer. Then when you connect to Dropbox, there is a "Paste" option in the lower right corner of the pop-up window that will upload the files.

It's not very intuitive, but it does work. I haven't tried it with Google Docs or MobileMe, but I suspect the procedure is the same.
 : May 10 2010 11:21 AM
@GSWoods: Thanks for the "Paste" tip! I updated the post to include your info.
------------------
Mac Slocum
Online Managing Editor
  corainheaven's Photo
Posted Feb 07 2012 04:48 AM

Thanks for detailed information on how to complete ipad transfer files, it is really useful for transferring whole information quickly. Using iTunes and iCloud can also be useful for transferring files from iPad. If you have problem in this issue then you need to make use of iPad backup tool for transferring all the files in minutes.
  Alejandro Ramirez's Photo
Posted Feb 09 2012 11:53 AM

I use my iPad via a Bluetooth tethered connection and for some reason DropBox has a very hard time connecting this way. I don't like using the WiFi Hotspot because its use is banned in my company, so I am stuck with BT which forces me to disconnect from BT, connect to WiFi, send files, and then reconnect to BT.

Do you have any other suggestions for Bluetooth transfers?
Alejandro Ramirez
Digital Photography Club
Administrator
  annice1's Photo
Posted Aug 21 2012 03:01 AM

In such case, you need to use iPad backup software. The program is designed with advance algorithm to backup iPad contacts, sms, photos, songs, music from iPad/iPad 2 to PC and vice-versa. To know more visit: http://ipadbackupcontacts.com
  maikoadams's Photo
Posted Jan 05 2013 12:34 AM

Thank for the complete information to iPhone Transfer Files to iPad without wire. I need this tool because it's very irritating when you want to transfer file immediately but you have to first find wire for the transfer of iFiles.
  jenjeniffer's Photo
Posted Jan 24 2013 11:03 PM

There is another way to transfer iPad file easily using iPad file transfer software. the software is highly effective and perform the worl safely. You can transfer any files to your iPad more easily as compare to wireless transfer. But in case, if you want to transfer iPad files, you can take help of dropbox as mentioned by earlier repliers. For more information, you can make a visit to : http://www.ipadfiletransfer.co.uk
  siaralouis's Photo
Posted Jun 27 2013 10:35 PM

The iPad transfer for Mac software is the best software and it helps you to transfer all your iPad data and files from iPad to your PC. It is easy to use and transferring data from this software is completely safe. It is user friendly and supports all the iOS devices.
  Ctiring hun's Photo
Posted Jul 26 2013 07:04 PM

Here is a simple way for you to transfer files between iPad, iPhone and iPod.
Actually, we usually want to transfer our music, photos, movies and more between our apple device.
So, iPhone/iPad/iPod transfer software is very useful for our daily life.
How to Transfer files from iPod to iPhone
How to restore iTunes from iPod after a hard drive crash
  Fenonr5's Photo
Posted Feb 01 2014 06:13 AM

Transfer your data from iPad to iPhone, iPod, Android phone and Nokia is not hard to do when you get the help with Mobile Transfer.

Phone to Phone Data Transfer in 1 Click!

Simple yet effective solution for transferring content between Symbian, Android, and iPhone.
Not just contacts, transfer SMS, call logs, photos, music, videos and apps*
Comprehensive contact copy, including job title, email addresses, company name, etc.
Works with over 2,000 phones including Droid, Symbian (Nokia), and all models of iPhones, including the newest iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c.
Transfers content between phones on different networks. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile - no problem!
Zero quality loss & risk-free: everything you transfer is 100% same as the original and can be only read by yourself.

Get more information:
How to Transfer Data among Android, iPhone and Nokia
How to Transfer Data from iPhone to Android/iOS/Symbian
How to Transfer Data from iPhone to iPad

Posted Image