Putting a hyperlink in an email

Henry34's Photo
Posted Jun 13 2010 08:13 AM

When entering a hyperlink into an email message I do not get the pointed finger cursor when the cursor is put over the hyperlink text. However if I send the email to someone and they reply with the same message, the cursor becomes a pointed finger when put over the hyperlink text and clicking the mouse brings up the target web page. Why isn't the link active when put into a message?

Henry 34

Tags:
2 Subscribe

3 Replies

: Jun 14 2010 07:23 AM
What email client are you using?
------------------
Mac Slocum
Online Managing Editor
 : Jun 14 2010 02:36 PM
Depends on what type of email you're sending - is it in RTF, HTML or just plain text? How are you adding the hyperlink?

[edit]
I think I've worked out what the problem is. Using Outlook 2003, if your email is set to plain text or rich text (you can get to this by going to Tools > Options > Mail Format), when you type in a URL you get a clickable hyperlink.

If your email is set to HTML, you don't get the hyperlink by default - to add a hyperlink to an HTML mail you need to add it separately. Open a new email, then click on Insert > Hyperlink. You'll get a dialog box up which gives you various options for link type (leave it as http: for a regular web address) and a box for the URL itself. Enter the appropriate URL, click 'ok' and you'll have a clickable hyperlink!

I've tried sending an HTML email from one account to another with just a text URL in it (no hyperlink added) and on receipt it seems to convert to a clickable link.

This post has been edited by dakegra: 15 June 2010 - 01:01 AM

~~
Dave
www.dakegra.net
www.twitter.com/dakegra
  lindrum's Photo
Posted Jun 21 2010 03:23 PM

In Apple's Mail.app, highlight the text, press command+K and paste your url.