How to Adjust Audio on an iPad

adfm's Photo
Posted Jun 18 2010 01:09 PM

Do you ever wish you could punch up the bass or smooth out shrill vocals when listening to music on your iPad? This excerpt from J.D. Biersdorfer's iPad: The Missing Manual will show you how to use the graphic equalizer in iTunes to tweak your music just the way you like it.

If you’d like to improve the way your songs sound, you can use iTunes’ graphic equalizer (EQ) to adjust various frequencies in certain types of music. You might want to boost the bass tones in dance tracks to emphasize the booming rhythm, for example.

To get the equalizer front and center, choose View (Window)’Equalizer and unleash some of your new EQ powers.

➊ Drag the sliders (bass on the left, treble on the right) to accommodate your listening tastes (or the strengths and weaknesses of your speakers or headphones). You can drag the Preamp slider up or down to compensate for songs that sound too loud or too soft. To create your own presets, click the pop-up menu and select Make Preset.

➋ Use the pop-up menu to choose one of the canned presets for different types of music (Classical, Dance, Jazz, and so on).

You can apply equalizer settings to an entire album or to individual songs.

➌ To apply settings to a whole album, select the album’s name (either in Grid View or in the iTunes browser pane). Then press Ctrl+I (C-I) and click “Yes” if iTunes asks whether you’re sure you want to edit multiple items. In the box that pops up, click the Options tab and choose your preferred setting from the Equalizer Preset pull-down menu.

➍ You can apply equalizer presets to specific songs as well. Instead of selecting the album name in the iTunes window, click the song name, and then press Ctrl+I (C+I). Click the Options tab and choose a setting from the Equalizer Preset menu.

➎ Finally, you can change the EQ settings right from your song lists by adding an Equalizer column. Choose View’View Options and turn on the Equalizer checkbox. A new column appears in your track lists, where you can select EQ settings.

iPad: The Missing Manual

Learn more about this topic from iPad: The Missing Manual.

The iPad 2 is faster, lighter, and more versatile than its predecessor, but there's still no printed guide to using its amazing features. That's where this full-color Missing Manual comes in. Learn how to stream HD video, make video calls, manage your email, surf the Web, listen to music, play games, and maybe even do a little iWork. It's the book that should have been in the box.

See what you'll learn

Tags:
1 Subscribe

2 Replies

lamontnoble's Photo
Posted Sep 11 2013 04:26 AM

I like to change the EQ settings on my iPad, it greatly improves the sound quality and creates better effects. It`s awesome that the developers created a script that would allow to apply equalizer settings to an entire album, this is one of the best features this device has.
  Addison_Mark's Photo
Posted Sep 13 2013 12:17 AM

If you felt your media audio's voice is very low or cannot be played on iPad, why not useImElfin Total Media Converter to extract the audios from your multi-media ? After that, you can also use ImElfin Total Media Converter to convert the audios files' format to other high quality and louder formats such as FLAC, AAC, AC3, AIFF, AMR, M4A, MP2, MP3, OGG, RA, AU, WAV, WMA, MKA, etc. So, you can perfectly enjoy your medias. This awesome tool can deal with all queries about media arrange. Please visit its official website to look for more detailed information.