Aluminum machine shop (for OpenPCR)

Tito Jankowski's Photo
Posted Jul 13 2010 07:05 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking into having aluminum tube blocks machined for OpenPCR. We need a shop to make both 3 or 4 prototypes with about a week turn time, and would like to have that same shop also scale up to 25 or 50 parts with a turn time of 20-30 days.

After some google searching I submitted our design to First Cut and Zero Hour Parts. Both of them are great for prototyping, they have a 5 day turnaround time at ~$100 a part. However, scaling up doesn't save money, still around $70 a part.

eMachineshop on the other hand can hit 1/3 of that price in the quantities of 25-50. But their prototyping is slow and expensive.

My question is, what machine shop would you recommend? Do you have experience with a shop that does both CNC prototyping and small runs for good prices? Are my concerns of "sticking with the same shop" undue, can we switch shops without problems?

Thanks!
Tito

Tags:
1 Subscribe

3 Replies

AnneHigh's Photo
Posted Jul 14 2010 08:03 AM

Hi, Tito-

Did you know you can post your requirements on MFG.com and have machine shops quote your job? You can find shops locally or all across the U.S. Our suppliers have profiles you can use to research them, and ratings from other buyers.

If I can help you out, shoot me an email.

Enjoy your day!
 : Jul 15 2010 12:26 PM
Hi Annie,
Thanks for the suggestion! Are there 'Maker' rates on MFG? I submitted a design and then got a call about the $100 set up fee and $130/month account fee which I wasn't expecting. Given that, we'll probably look at MFG in a couple months if/once we are looking to scale up to larger batches.
Thanks Annie!

Tito
  alankegan's Photo
Posted Jan 27 2013 12:43 PM

There are a couple of aluminum shops in my area but all of them are very expensive, when my wife wanted to design an office drafting chair she could not find any aluminum shop with fast and cheap prototyping.