Would you buy a Verizon iPhone?

+ 2
  macslocum's Photo
Posted Aug 13 2010 04:44 AM

I know this is dangerously close to Verizon-iPhone linkbait, but a recent post by John Gruber got me thinking about a legitimate question. Here's what he wrote:

I don't think there’s anyone who doesn’t think Verizon could sell a lot of iPhones over the course of a year. But I think they could sell a lot of them right away. Apple sold 1.7 million iPhone 4 units in the first three days it was on sale. I think they could sell at least one million on Verizon over the opening weekend. Who knows how many loyal-to-Verizon customers are just biding their time, waiting for an iPhone, though? Could be more. [Bold emphasis added.]

I'm in that "biding their time" group. I've been on Verizon Wireless for years and I'm happy with the service. But the phones? They're a bit meh compared to the iPhone. My Droid is a workhorse. Yet, the iPhone's form factor, speed and app ecosystem are just more appealing to me.

Am I alone? That's what I want to find out. So here's my question:

If you're a Verizon customer, and the iPhone comes to Verizon, will you buy it?

Please weigh in through the comments or vote in the associated poll.

Poll: Would you buy a Verizon iPhone? (13 members have cast votes )

Would you buy a Verizon iPhone?

1. Yes, I'd be first in line (6 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. Maybe, but I'd compare it to other phones first. (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. No, I'm happy with what I've got / the iPhone doesn't interest me. (4 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Please sign or register to vote.

Tags:
2 Subscribe

5 Replies

MikeH's Photo
Posted Aug 13 2010 07:55 AM

I think the options you can find on Android devices is much greater than only one model, controlled by one manufacturer. I have tested, played around with, and hacked several of the Android phones and they all have something different to offer. This is the appeal to me. You get what you want, not what someone else tells you is available. I prefer HTC right now. The form factor, design usability, toughness, and overall quality experience is second to none. I think my HTC Incredible is way nicer and more functional than an iPhone. I just rooted this phone and put Android 2.2 [Froyo] on it and it screams. With Google's new Gesture Search, Voice text messaging, wireless tethering, and other great features, this phone rock-n-rolls.
  macslocum's Photo
Posted Aug 13 2010 08:06 AM

In my limited exposure, I've been very impressed with the Incredible. I wish more Android phones had a similar form factor and appeal.

I should note that I love Android as a mobile operating system. It's tough and elegant at the same time. And the work Google puts into it is fantastic.

One thing that concerns me, though, is that mobile operators are clamping down on some of Android's functionality. I got *real* enthusiastic about Froyo when Google showed off the built-in hotspot functionality. But now word is that Verizon is going to make that a separate fee. I understand why -- extra data = extra chance to milk some revenue -- but the line between Google innovations and the features on my phone is no longer direct.

------------------
Mac Slocum
Online Managing Editor
  Link33's Photo
Posted Aug 24 2010 05:38 AM

It somewhat saddens me that Apple has locked the iPhone down so much. I'm curious what the real reason behind it is, if it's customer support impact, brand impact, or not wanting to give away the platform.
Historically Apple works diligently on products that make profit. They are being rewarded for their efforts and I believe that is ultimately why they will never unlock the iPhone.
That said, I enjoy my iPod Touch for many of the same reasons I enjoy my Mac. Things work well, and in my life that is what's most important to me.

I'm on Verizon and I would look seriously at getting an iPhone on Verizon.
  Digit_8093's Photo
Posted Jan 30 2014 02:37 AM

Any way used Verizon iPhone much cheaper! I buy it on ebay for $99! Now i unlock it here and use it with Virgin mobile carrier.
  DigitalUnlocking's Photo
Posted Mar 07 2014 12:13 PM

Here the list of Verizon iPhones:

iPhone 5S (locked)
iPhone 5C (locked)
iPhone 5 (comes factory unlocked)
iPhone 4S (locked)

But you can easily reuqest the IMEI unlok through the Verizon website (no blacklist IMEI's). The only other thing to consider is the size of the SIM credit card that different apple iphones use. iPhone four & 4S users will also need to make sure these people receive a micro-SIM card instead than a standard SIM card.

source: Verizon unlock for iPhone