Just finished HTML/CSS, which would be the next best book?

spankler's Photo
Posted Sep 14 2010 08:24 PM

I just finished Head First Html w/ CSS, XHTML, What would be the next best book to read (PHP/MySQL, Javascript, Rails, Web Design or something else)? I absolutely loved the book!

Tags:
4 Subscribe

6 Replies

+ 2
  beth_freeman's Photo
Posted Sep 15 2010 12:52 PM

Hi, glad to hear you enjoyed the book!

I think the answer to your question depends on what you think you'd like to do. Any of the books you mention would be good follow-ons, but will take you in different directions. PHP/MySql and Rails will put you in backend development; Javascript will enhance your frontend (client) development skills; Web Design will enhance your design skills. All work well with a solid HTML&CSS core.

I hope this helps! Let us know what you decide.
 : Sep 16 2010 06:53 AM
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll move on to Javascript next and then work my way from the "front end to the back end". I'm changing careers @ 50 years of age and I just wanted to say again how helpful this series is. Thanks for the good work.
  cspurgeon's Photo
Posted Sep 16 2010 04:48 PM

Yeah, Javascript would be an excellent next choice for a front-end developer. Then if you want even more front-end depth, after Javascript, check out "Head First Ajax".
Chris Spurgeon

chris - at - spurgeonworld - dot - com
  DaveEveritt's Photo
Posted Sep 18 2010 05:26 AM

Information Architecture for the World Wide Web is a good guide to usability, and and essential part of the process. If you start developing websites without some kind of strategy, they tend to fall apart when unplanned new sections crop up.

Since you're learning Javascript, the canvas element in HTML5 (that book's the recommended introduction) and Javascript graphic libraries like Raphaël are growing in use, as well as JQuery and/or the alternatives.

The backend (server-side) is a whole other world. If you make simple sites without database storage, you could start with SSI to 'include' the common components (e.g. header, menu, footer). SSI is also a gentle introduction to basic programming. Ignore those who say 'learn ASP or PHP, SSI is out of date' - there's no need for many static sites (sites that don't change too much) to use a full programming language - see this video tutorial. SSI will also tend to load faster. Save the programming for more complex stuff or database-driven sites. All the skills you learn will become incorporated into your toolkit, and you'll learn to use the right ones for the right jobs.

Then I'd suggest getting a basic grasp of programming in general, using one of the 'scripting' languages common on the web, like Perl (Learning Perl is a great foundation for programming in general), Python, PHP or Ruby (TryRuby is great!) - you could learn a little of each and see how you get on - and then move on to a small web application. PHP stands slightly apart from the others in that it was originally designed as a 'super SSI' and is easy to get started, but is not also used as a general-purpose programming language outside the web like Perl, Ruby or Python. And ignore anyone who says 'language X is rubbish - use language Y'. But this is all for another question...
  cjapes's Photo
Posted Dec 04 2010 05:13 AM

Hi!

One of the things you could think of is doing an O'Reilly School Of Technology Web Programming Certificate. That courses are very good, I'm taking one myself and it is great, I'm learning fast and it keeps me motivated ;) It's hard sometimes when we are learning on our one. If you find that it is a little expensive keep an eye on it because from time to time they have great discounts, up to 50%.

Hope this helps. :)
  best seller's Photo
Posted Dec 26 2012 07:49 AM

If you want to be a good and professional web developer, you should learn all complete parts and everything about html, css, javascript, jquery, xhtml, w3c validation,web 2.0 coding, cross browser comp-ability and many others to design a website.After complete these all steps you can start dynamic parts like php, mysql and others...........

Thanks

You can visit my blog....
http://www.bestselli...oksreviews.com/