Facebook Groups (the new groups, that is) reminds me of my early experience with listservs. Way back, before I got savvy to digests and email filters, I'd sign up for a list and then watch in horror as my inbox filled with new messages, replies, and a mish-mash of out-of-order content. Good times.
Fortunately, Facebook allows you to turn off the Groups firehouse. Here's how you do it:
1. Log in to your Facebook account. Click on Account > Account Settings.
2. Click on the Notifications tab.
3. Scroll to the Groups section. This is where the distinction between old and new Facebook groups gets a little tricky. The default view (below) appears to deal with the old groups. I've never had much problem with those. It's the new groups -- dubbed "Individual groups" -- I'm gunning for. To prune those, you need to click the "Change email settings for individual groups" link.
4. The Group Email Settings page appears. From here you can use checkboxes to select which groups you want to receive notifications from. Click Save Settings when you're finished. Inbox order will be restored.
- How to filter friends (and others) in Facebook
- How to Delete Your Facebook Account
- How to measure Facebook activity with the Facebook API and Perl
Learn more about this topic from Facebook: The Missing Manual.
This bestselling Missing Manual has been updated to help you take advantage of everything Facebook now offers. Each page in this informative and entertaining book is designed to help you with specific Facebook tasks, such as signing up, networking, shopping, joining groups, finding or filling a job, and a whole lot more.