How to shut off Facebook Groups email notifications

macslocum's Photo
Posted Oct 07 2010 06:31 AM

Facebook Groups (the new groups, that is) reminds me of my early experience with listservs. Way back, before I got savvy to digests and email filters, I'd sign up for a list and then watch in horror as my inbox filled with new messages, replies, and a mish-mash of out-of-order content. Good times.

Fortunately, Facebook allows you to turn off the Groups firehouse. Here's how you do it:

1. Log in to your Facebook account. Click on Account > Account Settings.

2. Click on the Notifications tab.

3. Scroll to the Groups section. This is where the distinction between old and new Facebook groups gets a little tricky. The default view (below) appears to deal with the old groups. I've never had much problem with those. It's the new groups -- dubbed "Individual groups" -- I'm gunning for. To prune those, you need to click the "Change email settings for individual groups" link.

4. The Group Email Settings page appears. From here you can use checkboxes to select which groups you want to receive notifications from. Click Save Settings when you're finished. Inbox order will be restored.

Related:

Facebook: The Missing Manual

Learn more about this topic from Facebook: The Missing Manual.

This bestselling Missing Manual has been updated to help you take advantage of everything Facebook now offers. Each page in this informative and entertaining book is designed to help you with specific Facebook tasks, such as signing up, networking, shopping, joining groups, finding or filling a job, and a whole lot more.

See what you'll learn

Tags:
1 Subscribe

5 Replies

+ 1
  MicahHerstand's Photo
Posted Oct 07 2010 04:28 PM

While I like the step-by-step guide, you could have just sent this link, and only included the last step, it would be quicker :)
  macslocum's Photo
Posted Oct 08 2010 02:03 AM

@MicahHerstand: Thanks for the link! One issue I often run into with Facebook -- either with settings or when trying to access groups or other resources -- is that I'm often not logged in. That's why I tend to start before the beginning with these things ;)
------------------
Mac Slocum
Online Managing Editor
  terry jones's Photo
Posted Mar 27 2014 03:43 AM

Processed fruit juices have lots of added sugar and thus do the majority of carbonated beverages, which often irritate the actual stomach as well. Alcohol can also be rich within calories and decelerates metabolism.
amazingfatloss
  terry jones's Photo
Posted Mar 27 2014 03:44 AM

Using the Buy It Now feature, Deal Dash has taken away the gambling character from the penny-auction website. Once you have gotten back your bids, it is now possible to utilize them once more to bid on an item on another auction and you won’t need to buy any other bid packages.
onlinetoysstores
  terry jones's Photo
Posted Mar 27 2014 03:44 AM

If you are interested in making a permanent move to the great Southern Hemisphere nation of Australia, you will need to engage the services of a migration consultant. Tsection125guide