File Sharing Mac OS X 10.4 to Windows 7

Andy33's Photo
Posted Feb 14 2011 08:43 AM

Hi

I'm try to share files between my my iMac running OS X 10.4.11 and PC running Windows 7. They are connected via cable to a BT Home Hub 2.0.

There's plenty of advice on sharing files from the PC to the Mac but I want to share the Mac files with the PC.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Tags:
1 Subscribe

5 Replies

macnlos's Photo
Posted Feb 14 2011 10:02 AM

The troubles with getting a Windows box to see a Mac usually falls in the area of which workgroup the Mac is in and the user account. This Apple technote describes the process that would be used.

Apple TechNote

If you are planning on connecting to the mac consistently then follow the link above. If you don't want to deal with that and simply want to transfer files now and again then go down the SCP route. Enable SSH access on your mac for your user account. Then from your PC you can SSH/SCP/etc... to the Mac with something like PuTTY.
=========================
Sent to you from my
iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry,
Laptop, Desktop, or
Kitchen Toaster
+ 1
  mflender's Photo
Posted Feb 28 2011 09:23 PM

Windows Vista and 7 only support NTLMv2 auth. You will have to dumb down Windows security policy to accept NTLM and Lan Manager authentication. Open secpol.msc and choose Local Policies>Security Options. Double click Network Security>LAN Manager Authentication level. Change from NTLMv2 to NTLM and LAN Manager - Use NTLMv2 if negotiated. Then in Network Security>Minimum session security for NTLM SSP Based Clients uncheck require 128 bit. Hope this helps. Also make sure the Mac and PC are set to the same workgroup.
  Corporate Geek's Photo
Posted Apr 12 2011 03:57 PM

Complete instructions about how to share files between Mac OS X and Windows 7, can be found in these tutorials:
How to Share Mac OS X Folders with Windows 7
Access Windows 7 Shared Folders from Mac OS X
  JorjaP's Photo
Posted Oct 22 2012 06:07 AM

how about using Dropbox or Googledrive ? that will be easy to handel
  tas81's Photo
Posted Oct 24 2012 01:25 PM

You can also hook up a Cat 5 cable to the PC and Mac and establish a sort of "private network" to where you can transfer files via (I think) adp.

You can also connect via smb to the Windows server, provided you're sharing a drive.
Timothy A. Sawyer, CISSP