Are there any full-featured Open Source alternatives to Adobe Flash Builder?

Alejandro Ramirez's Photo
Posted May 06 2011 06:29 AM

Before you answer, I already know that I can get the free SDK and make it work with Eclipse.

I would like to know if there are any fully-featured IDE alternatives that provide similar functionality to that of Flash Builder.

(Think of what SharpDevelop was to Visual Studio)
Alejandro Ramirez
Digital Photography Club
Administrator

Tags:
0 Subscribe

3 Replies

+ 1
  jeff12's Photo
Posted May 09 2011 09:35 PM

On Windows, Flash Develop is the best, In Mac, the best of TextMate ($58) plus the As3 plug-in.
  jbsurveyer's Photo
Posted May 10 2011 10:49 AM

Here are some Flash Animation Building tools that are quite quite good:

erain's Swift 3d - does 3d animations well beyond Flash and is available as a Flash Plugin, Photoshop plugin, AutoDesk 3ds Max plugin or standalone versions. The best way to do 3D integration in 32 or 64bit Flash and output to .FLA and .XFL.

Swishzone SwishMax - is the easiest 2D Flash animation tool available; Adobe should have upgraded its basic Flash tool to do animations design on the timeline this way.

ToonBoom - Toon Boom Studio is the place to go for cartooning using Flash animations. This software supplies all sorts of nifty cartooning and animation tools and supports.

Since Steve Jobs' trashing of Flash, Adobe has been more mindful of and somewhat less intimidating to its core of very competent Flash/Actionscript software rival tools. Its not a honeymoon though. See the bottom of this page for a more comprehensive list.
  Alejandro Ramirez's Photo
Posted May 11 2011 09:05 AM

@jeff12:
Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for.

@jbsurveyer:
Thank you too, that's a really good list of resources to produce SWF content.

I was primarily looking for a development tool, but your tools suggesion are great alternatives for Flash Profesional. I own Anime Studio and like it a lot.

Thanks!

Alejandro
Alejandro Ramirez
Digital Photography Club
Administrator