Kindle Fire vs. NOOK Tablet: Specs Comparison

macslocum's Photo
Posted Dec 22 2011 09:53 AM

O'Reilly senior editor Brian Sawyer is the author of "Kindle Fire: Out of the Box" and co-author of "NOOK Tablet: Out of the Box." His deep experience with both devices adds considerable heft to the Fire vs. NOOK table he assembled below. Be sure to give this reference a close look if you're mulling a purchase of either device.

(And if you're wondering how the Kindle Fire compares to that other tablet, check out Peter Meyers' iPad vs. Fire breakdown.)

= Device has this feature
x = Device does not have this feature

Kindle Fire NOOK Tablet
Price $199 $249
Music Store x
Video Store x
App Store (Android)
Book Store (Amazon) (B&N)
Newsstand (Magazines and Newspapers)
Supported File Types KINDLE (AZW), MOBI, Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX), PRC natively, TXT, PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, OGG, WAV, MP4, VP8 EPUB, PDF, XLS, DOC, PPT, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX, MP4, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MP3, MP4, AAC, AMR, WAV, OGG
Web Browser
Flash
Wi-Fi
Email
Camera x x
Microphone x (Record narration for kids' Read and Record books)
Screen Size 7" 7"
Screen Resolution 1024 X 600, 169 pixels per inch (PPI) 1024 X 600, 169 pixels per inch (PPI)
Memory 8GB internal (~6GB for user content) 16 GB internal (12GB for B&N content, 1GB for other user content)
Expandable microSD slot x
USB-to-Computer Cable Included x
Battery Life 8 hours reading / 7.5 hours video 11.5 hours reading / 9 hours video
Charge Time 4 hours 3 hours
Size 7.5" x 4.7" x 0.45" 8.1" x 5.0" x 0.48"
Weight 14.6 ounces 14.1 ounces

Related:

Kindle Fire: Out of the Box

Learn more about this topic from Kindle Fire: Out of the Box.

When you open the box for your brand-new Kindle Fire, you'll find the hottest 7-inch tablet to hit the market, a power adapter, and a "Quick Start Guide" that tells you how to turn it on. But to really take advantage of all the content and features the device has to offer, you'll need a little more. Kindle Fire: Out of the Box gets you up and running beyond the first "Slide to unlock" screen to unlock all of your media from the cloud in the palm of your hand.

Whether your media library lives in Amazon Cloud Drive or on your device, the Fire gives you immediate access to all of it, wherever you are, as long as you know where to find it and how to consume it. With Kindle Fire: Out of the Box, you'll jump right in to reading full-color magazines, newspapers, newly enhanced ebooks, and your own personal documents. Quickly download music from your Amazon Cloud Drive or new music from the Amazon MP3 store to listen offline, and get instant, unlimited access to streaming of over 10,000 popular movies and TV shows. And go beyond your own media to experience integrated email, games, Android apps from the Amazon App Store, and ultra-fast web browsing with the revolutionary, cloud-accelerated Silk browser.

This intuitive, easy-to-follow ebook opens the world of possibilities made possible by the Kindle Fire, right out of the box.

See what you'll learn
NOOK Tablet: Out of the Box

Learn more about this topic from NOOK Tablet: Out of the Box.

When you open the box for your brand-new NOOK Tablet, you'll find Barnes & Noble's latest 7-inch media device to hit the market, a USB cable, power adapter, and a "Quick Start Guide" that tells you how to turn it on. But to really take advantage of all the content and features the device has to offer, you'll need a little more. NOOK Tablet: Out of the Box gets you up and running beyond the first "Slide to unlock" screen to unlock all of your media from the cloud in the palm of your hand.

The new NOOK Tablet gives you immediate access to online music, movies, and the best of HD entertainment, wherever you are, as long as you know where to find it and how to consume it. With NOOK Tablet: Out of the Box, you'll jump right in to reading full-color magazines, newspapers, comics, interactive NOOK Kids books, beautiful PagePerfect titles, and your entire personal B&N library in the NOOK Reading App. Then, go beyond your own media to experience integrated email, games, Android apps, and lightning-fast web browsing.

This intuitive, easy-to-follow ebook opens the world of possibilities made possible by the NOOK Tablet, right out of the box.

See what you'll learn

4 Replies

cld9731's Photo
Posted Dec 25 2011 09:49 AM

The chart is not accurate, implying there is no video available. The video (rental) store for Nook is Hulu and NetFlix+ which is more than enough for most people. It would be smart to have Video rental row on the chart to clarify. Also Nook Tablet is much, much better at doing video as many reviewers have already commented on.
  psionic1's Photo
Posted Dec 26 2011 11:01 AM

One thing I've noticed and for me it is significant. I was looking at 2 samples, Entity Framework Code First and Entity Framework 2nd Edition on both the fire and the nook tablet (I own both).

When viewing the sample:
- Text on the fire was much clearer
- Images (diagrams) on the fire were much clearer
- The price on the EF4 2nd Ed. book is $5 or so cheaper than the Nook's price

So, for the hardware, I like the nook, but for the reading experience, the kindle fire is nicer. The other thing I noticed is that together even with their cases they feel lighter than my iPad 1.

If BN did 2 things.. match amazon on price for the same books by the same publisher and fixed the imaging/reading experience, I'd only need to cart around the nook tablet.
  lywell's Photo
Posted Dec 27 2011 07:23 PM

Nice reading, this comparison is more detailed than the one "Kindle Fire VS Nook Tablet-Specs comparison" in Aneesoft.
  susalt's Photo
Posted Dec 28 2011 08:25 AM

Has anyone tried reading online safaribooksonline content on either readers? That's one of the main reason's I'm looking for a new tablet. I know safaribooksonline supports IPAD, but that's a bit pricey. I have an older first generation nook and it's very very painful reading safari books online on it. Looking for a better alternative.