Which Java book is best to teach a coding newbie to write an Android App?

Dave Trendler's Photo
Posted Feb 09 2012 09:24 AM

I've finally come up with the app idea I think is worth spending the time to build! Hooray for dreaming!

Now it's time to learn to code. I can read (not speak) HTML and can hack my way through basic CSS. I've managed to set up my own Apache webserver on Ubuntu with which I host several family photo "websites."

That's the extent of my programming knowledge.

For someone with my limited background, what's a good book to get started learning Java so I can start working on my Android app?

Thanks,

Dave

Tags:
0 Subscribe

2 Replies

Ahmed U's Photo
Posted Feb 15 2012 08:25 AM

Hi, :(
this is not related your question. I am new comer to this forum. I would like to no how post new post(my own post) into this forum.
if i disturb you pls sorry.
Thanx.
Ahmed :)
  GalileeSteve's Photo
Posted Feb 23 2012 10:37 PM

This is not exactly what you want to hear, but I believe its useful advice. First off, I am not exactly a coding newbie, but returning to coding after a lengthy lapse. I was a professional database developer when Windows 3.x was king (whew!). That being said, a newbie should know that Android development is primarily done in Java. Therefore, before you learn and in order to develop for Android, you should first learn Java. That being said, let me say there aren't any real magic bullets in software development. This work is only successfully done as a passion and labor of love. Its got to be in your blood, in fact. So, have fun learning, but don't expect quick results. Your first real, decent, proud to write home about, Android app is about 2-3 years away! The one I'm using now which is slow but good is the Java All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies. It's not for dummies but is not that hard either if you know anything about code. If you don't, as appears to be your situation, I suggest this book.