eBook registration and upgrade

Larry Lushbaugh's Photo
Posted May 12 2012 10:29 PM

I purchased an O'Reilly eBook from the Barnes and Noble nook book store (Photoshop CS6 Missing Manual by Lesa Snider).
This book contains a special offer to upgrade for $4.99 at oreilly.com.
I tried to do this, but it appears that only ebooks ordered directly from O'Reilly, and registered there, are eligible for such an upgrade. Is this correct? I sure would appreciate being able to download a DRM-free PDF version of my book.
Can anyone at O'Reilly help with this issue?

Tags:
1 Subscribe

2 Replies

rachel.j's Photo
Posted May 14 2012 06:23 AM

Hi Larry,

Thanks for writing us about this, and I'm sorry for the confusion. There are two kinds of ebook upgrades, one for ebooks purchased elsewhere and one for print to ebook upgrades. I've passed your question on to customer service at orders@oreilly.com and they'll be in touch with you to work this out.

Kind Regards,

Rachel James
O'Reilly Media
  harlik's Photo
Posted Jun 13 2012 07:37 PM

Hi Larry,

Did you get the answer already? It seems I'm in the same situation with my Microsoft Manual of Style bought from the B&N. My book contains the same upgrade offer, and I want to use it, but don't know how to do this.

15 minutes later.
Hmm... Seems I have a workaround. Just register a book as print book; to perform this you should find the book by name (B&N books have different ISBNs). And when the book is registered upgrade it to ebook for $4.99.

I'm really happy with this offer :)