Find an eBook on iPad

Espri's Photo
Posted Jul 30 2012 01:04 PM

I have just downloaded my first eBook from O'Reilly, using the link sent to me by e-mail. It appeared in Safari on my iPad and I could read it. But now it seems to have disappeared and I can only see a message about 'Access Denied Request has expired....'. I had expected to find the book under PDFs in my iBook library (or perhaps Kindle) but there is no sign of it.

What have I done wrong? And how do I access the book without having to download it every time?

P.S. I have seen a few other related posts and am gaining the impression you need a Ph.D. to get O'Reilly books onto the iPad. I had assumed it would be as easy as downloading books from Amazon or the iBook Store. Am I wrong?

Tags:
3 Subscribe

6 Replies

+ 1
  Espri's Photo
Posted Jul 31 2012 02:47 AM

I have now managed to get the book onto my iPad but it was rather a sweat.

1) Download the book onto my Mac.

2) Copy the file into my iTunes Music/Media library (not sure that was necessary as a separate step).

3) Add the book to the iTunes library.

4) Link the iPad to the Mac (via USB in my case) and add the author name as 'Artist' with 'Get Info'.

5) Selecting the iPad in iTunes, then choosing Books, specifying 'Selected books', sync the book over to the iPad.

6) Then you can find it under PDFs in the iBook app.

Phew!
  macnlos's Photo
Posted Jul 31 2012 07:23 AM

Here is how I do it:

1) Install the App called GoodReader on your iPad.
2) In GoodReader you can Web Browser to the O'Reilly site or load up the URL they sent you.
3) In GoodReader you can then do an "Open In" and choose iBooks.
4) Done

No PH.D required but you can pay me some tuition if you want. It's only a sweat if you don't know the best route. :)

CR
=========================
Sent to you from my
iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry,
Laptop, Desktop, or
Kitchen Toaster
  bytebug's Photo
Posted Aug 12 2012 06:46 AM

When you download a PDF in Safari on an iPad, there will be an opportunity for you to open it in iBooks via an overlay button at the top of your screen.

I haven't connected my iPad to my Mac except the one time to register and set it up initially after I purchased it.
+ 1
  rachel.j's Photo
Posted Aug 14 2012 07:44 AM

You can always re-download your ebooks from the Your Products section of Your Account at https://members.orei...nt/emedia/index

Then you can follow any of the suggestions above. I think that downloading directly on the iPad may be the simplest solution. The earlier posts about loading to an iPad were published when the iPad was new and it was more complicated. Sorry for the confusion!

If you still have questions, you can contact customer service at orders@oreilly.com

Kind Regards,

Rachel James
O'Reilly Media
  emercaughfield's Photo
Posted Aug 30 2012 10:59 PM

+ 1 for the Rachel.j comment.
If I will have this problem I would definitely follow her instructions. Earlier comments on downloading ebooks on Ipad are also appreciable but they are complicated also. Follow these steps just to download the ebook on IPad is not an advisable solution for me.
  Leonard Charles's Photo
Posted Apr 16 2014 10:03 AM

The iPad is an awesome device for reading PDF documents and ebooks. Learn about some of the best PDF Reader Apps for your iPad.
Essaylabs.co.uk