Mac OSX 10.7 Floppy Copy

comccoy's Photo
Posted Aug 06 2012 06:34 AM

I have taken on a project for my father to get what data I can off of over 1000 floppy disks. I have a USB Floppy drive which I have verified works just fine but now I want to automate the process. I have plenty of scripting experience and could write a shell/perl/python script but I would rather not duplicate work someone else might have already done. What I am looking for is a script or app that does the following:

• Recognizes that a disk has been inserted in to the floppy drive.
  • Waits for the disk to mount
  • Creates a Folder named the same as the disk, appending a number if one already exists with that name
  • Copies all the contents of the disk to the folder
  • Ejects the disk when finished
  • Be able to handle disks with bad blocks etc that might fail in mounting or copying or other error states

If the script or app was flexible enough to also handle CDs that is my next project. Like I said I am pretty familiar with scripting and I don't mind digging in shell/perl/python/applescript/automator. I am not sure how to query that a disk mounted in /Volumes is the floppy etc so if someone knows of something that already exists I figure I could start there.

Thanks!

2 Replies

+ 1
  macnlos's Photo
Posted Aug 06 2012 09:30 AM

Found this article/link off of the Apple Forums. This is a guy who, upon mounting of a USB thumbdrive, wanted to copy the contents of a folder to the thumbdrive. Similar to what you are doing except you want to go the other way.

http://automatorworl...ounted-volumes/
=========================
Sent to you from my
iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry,
Laptop, Desktop, or
Kitchen Toaster
  comccoy's Photo
Posted Aug 06 2012 12:21 PM

I had seen that article and I could use a size check to determine if a mounted volume was 1.5mb or lower. I wish I had a more recent example of folder actions working on /Volumes. Good tip, though!