How long are laptop batteries supposed to hold a charge?

jolina's Photo
Posted Sep 11 2012 12:36 AM

I bought a used laptop and the battery only holds about 1 hour if im lucky of battery power. How long is the norm for batteries to hold a charge?

Tags:
0 Subscribe

3 Replies

+ 1
  Alejandro Ramirez's Photo
Posted Sep 11 2012 09:59 AM

Batteries will last anywhere between 2-3 hours in laptops, and 4-8 hours on Netbooks.

This depends on the following factors, which impact power consumption:
- A larger screen will generally consume more power (i.e. a 12" laptop vs. a 17" laptop)
- Having a DVD/CD drive vs a laptop without one
- Having multiple hard drives
- Having an SSD hard drive instead of a "Regular" hard drive can save battery life
- Having devices attached to the computer (i.e. USB dongle for a wireless keyboard/mouse)
- Constantly plugging/unplugging the laptop from power degrades battery life, so as a rule, use the laptop on battery until it runs out and then charge it all the way before unplugging it.

Batteries degrade over time, so it's not unusual to have to buy a new battery after 2-3 years. At work for example, a new battery (Dell laptop with 15", 1 "regular" 500GB hard drive, DVD drive) will last 2 hours; over time (about a year because of frequent docking/undocking) can go down as bad as 1/2 hour!
Alejandro Ramirez
Digital Photography Club
Administrator
  SAM STICKA's Photo
Posted Sep 27 2012 12:18 PM

Batteries if treated well last for two years or more. Treated poorly, less. I had a battery that was all the way down to about 15-20 minutes by the time I replaced it in less than two years. I had a tendency to leave it plugged in overnight and not run it on battery as often as I should have.

You probably can expect a longer life with a new battery. Most people get 2-3 hours with normal sized batteries.

http://www.techyv.co...op-battery-life
  sellaforlove's Photo
Posted Dec 05 2012 12:57 AM

hope you can change a new one.Your laptop battery charge is over.