New (EPub) Ebooks Have Different, Less Readable Typeface

CarlJParker's Photo
Posted Sep 27 2012 05:17 PM

I recently purchased three new O'Reilly ebooks.

Javascript: The Good Parts
Node: Up and Running
Perl Best Practices

When I view the EPub versions of these books in Calibre or in Firefox EPUBReader, the typeface is different--and less readable--than in O'Reilly ebooks that I've purchased in the past, such as Learning Vi or C# 4.0 in a Nutshell.

Using Calibre's settings, I'm able to change the typeface that is used for monospace text, but I cannot change the typeface for serif text which is the content that appears to have degraded. It almost seems as though the serif typeface is built into the document.

Could recent builds of ebooks be using a different serif typeface than previous builds?

I'm attaching a couple side-by-side screenshots that show the difference in typeface between the previously-purchased ebooks and the newly-acquired ones.

I do not see the issue when I view the ebooks on my iPodtouch using Stanza.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image

Tags:
1 Subscribe

1 Reply

rachel.j's Photo
Posted Oct 15 2012 01:22 PM

Hi Carl,

I checked with our ebooks team about this, and we're not sure why this is happening. We actually purposefully do not specify a custom font for body text. We use the generic serif, so that your device should control the font. I'm sorry we can't be more help, but you might try asking in the calibre forums at http://www.mobilerea...splay.php?f=166

Kind Regards,

Rachel James
O'Reilly Media