Why is my CPU Meter going ballistic when I use photoshop?

jeannephd's Photo
Posted Oct 10 2012 12:24 PM

Am computer literate, sort of, but almost completely self--taught. Need to understand my dual-boot computer (Ubuntu and Windows 7 Pro) when windows CPU gadget tells me I'm using too much memory. Turn all problems off immediately. As long as I don't turn on Any Adobe Creative Cloud programs, the CPU meter rests contentedly at 29%. When I am using photoshop or flash pro CPU meter goes all the way up to the danger red zone. Windows 7 Missing Manual just tells me what the CPU Meter is. That's no help.

Can anyone suggest a book that will tell me what the CPU meter is concerned about and how I fix it? I'm taking an O'Reilly course in PHP, but I'm concerned about this problem, and there doesn't seem to be a course that covers my problems. I'm in L.A. and can't seem to find any place (including Sch ot Tech) or person that does more than specific courses. Nor does the tech who put the computer together for me really ever answer my questions. I belong to Safari Online Books, so several books is OK. I guess I'd really appreciate one for reference.

Desperate jeannie

1 Reply

gregimba's Photo
Posted Nov 17 2012 04:53 PM

Hitting the "red zone" on your cpu means that your cpu is running near its capacity. This will not damage your computer it just means that your computer will start to slow down as it becomes overburdened. There is not any fix for this because having your computer running in the "red zone" is not a problem in the first place.