My comp keeps overheating and shutting down, what can I do?

Bella123's Photo
Posted Oct 30 2012 07:58 AM

I will have been on my computer for 10, 15 mins and it overheats and ends up shutting down by itself. Anyone know why this is? - Thanks

Tags:
0 Subscribe

6 Replies

Katherine123's Photo
Posted Oct 30 2012 08:05 AM

Have you checked the fan is working? Is your PC over clocked? If it’s over clocked you probably need to take it to Geek Squad as it’s over fried!
  ezchomak's Photo
Posted Oct 31 2012 09:47 AM

Just had this problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop. We took it apart and found a huge dust clod stuck right in the CPU fan. The dust clod was literally impairing the motion of the fan so that the CPU was overheating and automatically shutting down. After extraction with tweezers and a good cleaning with compressed air, the laptop's working well again.

Is this a desktop or laptop you're working with?
  Evad27's Photo
Posted Nov 26 2012 04:50 AM

If you have not been playing with the internals... Then the most probable cause would be the processor fan, presuming this is not a laptop.

There is usually a small dedicated fan just for the processor which is in turn protected by a thermal shutoff.

As in: fan quits, processor overheats, thermal protection shuts everything down, thermal cools down, repeat ....
  Robertbrans's Photo
Posted Sep 24 2013 12:47 PM

This may be due to SMPS. There might be dirt near the processor fan's which cools the heat down or try cleaning RAM with Silicon paper or there might be an issue with the motherboard.
  Learnmax's Photo
Posted Sep 24 2013 10:29 PM

You have to clean your fans of CPU. Make some dusting of Fan over Microprocessor. Then i am sure your computer will work.

Thank You
Blackberry Technical Support | blackberry training | Mobile Device Management
  btehhhh's Photo
Posted Dec 23 2013 11:49 AM

The greatest problem for your laptop, except for your coffee mug, is overheating. One of the most common problems with computers is laptop overheating.

It can cause hardware failure and permanent damage. This article will introduce ways in which you can prevent or fix an overheating laptop and thus improve the performance and extend the lifespan of your laptop. I hope this shows how to stop your laptop from overheating.

wiki how to stop laptop overheating
laptop overheating