iPhone text messages backup?

Zevab's Photo
Posted Apr 04 2013 07:45 AM

Hello, I am looking for a quick method to back up my iphone text messages to my computer. I have to do that for legal purposes, so the ability to print out text messages from my iphone is essential. In the best case scenario, I am looking to export my iphone text messages into PDFs and then print them from my PC.

Is that possible at all? Appreciate.

Update: Thanks for all your answers. After trying to use some of the methods described below, I finally ended up backing up my iPhone text messages using the method provided by Oapey.A since it provided the most flexible solution:

http://www.copytrans...-text-messages/

I chose to export my text messages to Excel.

Posted Image

Thanks again!

23 Replies

tracy.a's Photo
Posted Apr 13 2013 03:57 AM

Hello There,

I not sure about PDF format but there is a software called iPhone messages transfer to transfer or backup iPhone SMS messages to a computer as a text file. You can check this youtube video to know more about this program: http://youtu.be/uO6YUme7kG4
  sheels08's Photo
Posted May 07 2013 10:15 AM

When you backup your iPhone with iTunes, it is also going to store your text messages with all of your other data files to your PC. But Apple has chosen not to make these secure backup files immediately viewable from your computer. You need to use third-party programs to extract these text messages from your iPhone backup.

This detailed article explains the step-by-step process to save SMS to a computer as text format: http://techbii.com/h...es-to-computer/

Posted Image
  johannapark's Photo
Posted May 10 2013 07:30 AM

Thanks Sheel for the detailed info. Finally I can transfer and access my iPhone texts on my PC. :)
  sweetyjill's Photo
Posted May 11 2013 09:36 AM

You could try this utility to backup your iPhone text messages to your computer. Once you have your iPhone text messages backed up, you would be able to restore iPhone text messages from backup.
+ 1
  Oapey.A's Photo
Posted May 15 2013 04:26 AM

I have used CopyTrans Contacts in the past. Apart from being a contacts' management tool, the program can also back up iPhone SMS text messages to your computer in a readable and printable format including attached pictures.

Posted Image

Here is a youtube video demonstrating how to backup iPhone text messages:

beanjon101's Photo
Posted May 19 2013 10:18 PM

You can backup your full iPhone text messages successfully with the help of the third party software that is iPhone backup software. This tool is users friendly so can be used without technical supports of helps. By using this tool you will get its best results and performance. So, try this tool now and have your iPhone backup files easily without loosing them.

For More Information - http://www.i-phoneba...als-for-mac.php
  Mike28_5158's Photo
Posted Jun 25 2013 02:06 AM

There's a good guide on how to backup your iPhone text messages here.

Posted Image

Also, see this Youtube video

bean101's Photo
Posted Jul 02 2013 09:50 PM

You can successfully have your iPhone text messages backup files easily with the help of third partyiPhone Backup Software. This tool is users friendly so can be easily used without any technical supports. It is powered with powerful scanning algorithm by which it will transfer your iPhone text messages into its backup files. So. try this wonderful third party tool right now and its full benefits and features.
  yizeno's Photo
Posted Jul 08 2013 10:05 AM

That wouldn't be difficult. Two steps to do that. First, transfer your sms to you computer. You can using this iphone sms transfer and its guide. Second, convert text file to pdf. Just use the adobe online pdf convert for simple text file.
  nickmiller980's Photo
Posted Jul 09 2013 10:40 PM

Tutorial: How to Recover iPhone Text Messages from Backup
1.Extract iPhone backup
When iTunes Backup Extractor launched, your iTunes backups will be extracted and displayed in the columns. Choose your iPhone backup and move on to the next step by "StartScan".
Posted Image

2.Preview and recover iPhone SMS
iPhone messages will be listed as one of the categories together with photos, videos, notes, calendar, reminders etc. Click "Messages" and skim over. Find out the lost SMS from the extracted iTunes backup and done with "Recovery".
Posted Image

Posted Image
Ok, now you should be able to read all the lost iPhone SMS from your PC after completing the above steps. Kindly remind, frequently backup is a very good precaution to prevent losing iPhone SMS.
  yogastay's Photo
Posted Jul 10 2013 11:22 PM

Get an SMS recovery tool for iPhone first: iPhone Data Recovery. It can help you to restore deleted messages due to your accidently deletion in easy ways.
In addition, it enables you to extract data including voice mails, SMS messages, voice memos, calendars, call logs, photos, videos, contacts, notes and etc. Those data can be instantly transferred and saved to a folder on your computer.

Read more:
How to Recover Deleted Messages from iPhone
How to Extract and Recover iPhone Backup

http://www.transfer-...ne-recovery.com
  Bright Choice's Photo
Posted Jul 13 2013 08:14 AM

you can not take back up of only text messages of your iPhone. once you connect your phone to your iTunes into your PC. then click on the backup, take the backup normally you do. it will take the backup of all the data which is there in your phone including text messages. but you wont be able to read your messages into your PC. you will have to transfer all the data to any of your iPhone in order to read the text messages.
  sunshinegirl's Photo
Posted Jul 13 2013 07:54 PM

Here is a powerful toolthat can retrieve deleted text message from your iTunes backup.
Since you have your iPhone text messages backed up, it's so easy for you to restore iPhone text messages from backup.

BIPSM's Photo
Posted Jul 22 2013 04:14 PM

This iPhone SMS Backup & Restore is the excellent iPhone SMS transfer software which is specially designed for iPhone users. It can fast transfer, copy, backup iPhone SMS to computer to avoid missing of the valuable messages in case of the full iPhone SMS box. Please refer to step by step guide: How to backup SMS from iPhone to PC?

Posted Image

More:
How to transfer SMS from iPhone to Mac?
  Allenlrish's Photo
Posted Aug 02 2013 02:20 AM

You can open the .db file with SQLite Database Browser and export the data.

If you're feeling brave, there's a free online solution: iPhone Online SMS Exporter. I never tried it myself.

If you wanted to view/export the current SMS messages that are on your iPhone (not from backup), then PhoneView can do that.

Posted Image
  Robinsonssean's Photo
Posted Aug 19 2013 07:14 AM

Great information! But no need to follow such lengthy procedure. Just use third-party-programs like "iPhone Messages Transfer Tool" and copy iPhone messages to PC in a single click.

The following tutorial will tell how to step by step transfer SMS from iPhone to Mac for backup.

Easy guide: How to transfer SMS from iPhone to Mac for bakcup?

Step 1: Install and run software, and connect iPhone
Free Download iPhone Transfer SMS for Mac, install and launch it on your Mac. Connect your iPhone to Mac, the software will automatically recognize it and the device info will be shown as the picture below.

Posted Image

Step 2: Transfer iPhone SMS to Mac Click the “Copy” button to copy SMS from a single contact and select options. Choose File Path: where to store the backup file, do nothing if you choose default path; click “OK” Button to finish the Copy. Note: You can only copy the first 20 items for him/she in trail version.

Posted Image
Posted Image

When it’s done, you’ve got your iPhone SMS neatly and conveniently on your Mac.
  Brewstering's Photo
Posted Oct 04 2013 01:18 AM

Nice info. Or you can use a program called Backuptrans iPhone SMS Backup & Restore to extract, view or print the messages from iTunes.

There are the information we have stored in iPhone such as our Contacts and SMS. Unfortunately, there are times when what we fear the most happens, like our mobile phone being stolen or worst, it gets broken then all the essential information we rely on for our daily routine is forever lost.

I recently found a splendid program – iPhone Contacts + SMS Backup, which can can assist you in organizing and transferring your Contacts and text message from your iPhone to your computer. And it can also take a snapshot of your Contacts so your personal information will never be lost.

Easy guide: How to transfer iPhone contacts and Text message to computer?
• Step 1: Free Download iPhone Contacts + SMS Backup software and get start.
To backup iPhone SMS and Contacts to computer, You download the trial version of theiPhone contacts + SMS backup to computer and click the installation wizard.

Posted Image

Step 2: Launch it and connect iPhone to computer
This iPhone contacts and SMS backup app can support all iPhone models. However, you should make sure that you can connect the iPhone to computer without problem. If you have hooked up the iPhone to computer successfully. The program will auto-scan the iPhone on your PC. If the iPhone is enabled, the iPhone SMS and Contacts will be shown in the list.
Posted Image

Step 3~4: Export iPhone SMS or contacts In the left sidebar. Select the “Messages” or “Contacts”. All of your iPhone SMS and contacts will be displayed on the right screen. If you just want to display a specific contact or SMS, you can search it with the key words. From this list, you can now select and checkmark the files you want to back up. Then click “Export” which will initialize the process of transfer.

Posted Image

Step 5~6: The “Export Mode” dialog box will pop up after you click “export”, you may select where you want to store your contacts. After you have chosen where you want to save your contacts, just click “ok” then this will initiate the export process. Note: If you are undering backup iPhone SMS, you can backup them to .txt or .mht file. Both of the two files can be open on your computer easily.

Posted Image
Step 7: Once the export process is done, you will get the “Export Finished” dialog box, please click “OK” to open the output folder. You may now view the copied contacts in the output folder on your computer.

Posted Image
Congratulations! You are now assured that your Contacts are safe and protected.
  milli_7124's Photo
Posted Oct 08 2013 11:31 PM

Hello,there's a way to Retrieve deleted SMS from iPhone 5/4S/43GS. But you need to find a reliable yet professional tool to help you.
Coolmuster Data Recovery for iPhone iPad iPod (Windows Version) is a professional recovery tool, which enables users to find back lost or deleted text messages, photos, videos, contacts, call history and more from iPhone, iPad and iPod iTunes backup files directly. You can download a free one and have a try.
  maxliogreen's Photo
Posted Oct 10 2013 10:23 PM

First of all, you should know that the data in your iPhone can only be seen but you have no access to them.

Many iPhone users are very care about the security of their iPhone data, so do I. I used to connect my iPhone to computer and synced the data to computer at the same time. Once I want to recover my data of iPhone, I will use the iPhone backup extractor to export my data to iPhone again, it does a lot of good to my iPhone data.
  Chloejo's Photo
Posted Oct 30 2013 10:22 PM

I suggest you follow this steps to recover text messages from iPhone.

Part 1: Directly recover deleted photos from iPhone 5/4S/4/3GS
1:Connect your iPhone to the computer
2:Enter your iPhone's system and scan it (iPhone 5/4S users can skip this step
3: Preview and recover iPhone messages

Part 2: Scan and extract iTunes backup to recover deleted sms from iPhone
1: Scan your iTunes backup for iPhone 5/4S/4/3GS
2: Preview and recover iPhone SMS
3: Do backup well

Get more info:
How to recover iPhone text messages from backup
How to retrieve deleted text messages without backup
  farenka's Photo
Posted Nov 15 2013 03:07 PM

I can recommend iPhone Text Messages, it's perfect for legal purposes. It's cheap ($ 3.99) and is able to save your iMessages, SMS and MMS (including pictures) to a beautiful formatted PDF file.

You can download it from here: www.iphonetextmessages.com

http://www.iphonetextmessages.com/screenshot.jpg
  RaizYork's Photo
Posted Jan 22 2014 07:00 PM

There is a lot of methods to export SMS from iPhone.
One of the most convenient way is to use iPhone SMS Transfer.
It's simple enough for any one to transfer in minutes, you can download it and have a try.
Posted Image
  Feninar5's Photo
Posted Feb 02 2014 05:17 AM

Hello, you have 3 ways to backup your iPhone text messages.
Solution 1: Use iTunes or iCloud to backup.

Solution 2: Transfer your iPhone text messages to computer with iPhone Data Manager in one click

Solution 3: Get the help of iPhone Data Recovery or iPhone Data Recovery for Mac.
Actually, iPhone Data Recovery tool can help you recover your lost data from iPhone on your computer. It means you can use this solution to recover your data, backup your iPhone text messages or even backup those deleted text messages on your computer.