What is the best ebook reader for the iPhone?

timoreilly's Photo
Posted Nov 02 2009 02:55 PM

I've tried both Stanza and the Kindle app for iPhone, and m.safaribooksonline.com for technical books, but I'm wondering if there are any other options I ought to be checking out.

Tags:
3 Subscribe

11 Replies

+ 1
  surferoo's Photo
Posted Nov 04 2009 01:53 AM

on a tangent, I recommend ReaddleDocs for PDF/Doc reading, and iChm for chm ebooks.
Also if you're in the market, 'Business Card Reader' is great.
+ 3
  ajcooper's Photo
Posted Nov 04 2009 07:16 PM

I'd recommend Stanza which has the added advantage of linking in with the O'Reilly book shop. The Stanza engine is also used for packaged O'Reilly books for sale in the App Store. I know you've already tried it but it's certainly the best one I've found.
  Brill Pappin's Photo
Posted Nov 05 2009 05:27 PM

I'd definitely have to go with Stanza.
Its got some of the best usability and to top if off there is a desktop version that can transfer to your iPhone for that rare book you can't find to download.

My two biggest issues with it are:
- poor purchase options (its just a pain)
- can't delete many books at once (I have over 300 read in there now, and its a paint to delete them. Do it after you read it).

I've tried about 6 others and always ended up back with Stanza.
  michaelclasen's Photo
Posted Nov 05 2009 07:55 PM

I been using Bookz for a while now and love the way it handles my own etexts from my site. It had some problems early on but gets my vote.
  laurelackerman's Photo
Posted Nov 06 2009 12:50 PM

I really like Stanza. Very simple to use and to get books into out of my desktop; it also has a desktop version if you want a larger reader screen.
  chuckdude's Photo
Posted Nov 10 2009 06:54 AM

Eucalyptus
Chuck Toporek is the Mac and iPhone development editor with Addison-Wesley in Boston, and is also an O'Reilly allum (employee and author).
  sboss's Photo
Posted Nov 15 2009 08:02 PM

I use stanza. It works very well. Plus I can download (and have downloaded) all my ebooks from OReilly so I can read them when I am away from my desk/home.
 : Apr 16 2010 06:32 AM
none of these apps actually show pdf versions of popular books (like Programming Perl) with proper formatting (shows code blocks and typesetting properly). what is the solution?
  richardlawler's Photo
Posted Sep 26 2010 10:36 PM

GoodReader does a great job with PDFs.
  ysoliman's Photo
Posted Oct 17 2011 10:45 PM

I prefer a mix of Stanza and the Kindle app, as they can sync across all main devices.
YSoliman
  DavidBiggs1955's Photo
Posted Apr 05 2012 11:15 PM

I used Stanza & eReader and my vote goes to Stanza, loves its interface!