What are the best iPhone or Android apps for System Adminstrators

MikeH's Photo
Posted Nov 11 2009 04:04 AM

Have iPhones and Android-powered devices replaced pagers? Does having remote access from a smart device really helped you administer and troubleshoot remote, or local, machines? Other than a pager, and phone, what apps do System Administrators use on your smart device?

12 Replies

+ 3
  adfm's Photo
Posted Nov 11 2009 03:52 PM

If you're looking for a good SSH client, TouchTerm for the iPhone or ConnectBot for Android are both good choices. I'm pretty speedy with the iPhone's virtual keyboard, but have found that I prefer a physical keyboard when using a command line. I think it has something to do with my thumbs always getting in the way.

ConnectBot on my G1 is a real charmer. The default terminal font is choice and it supports ANSI color. You can actually edit a document in Vim, if you can believe it. One really slick feature of ConnectBot is the ability to remap the camera button (which rests under your right index finger when typing) to act as a toggle for screen.

For the iPhone:
WinAdmin is an excellent remote desktop client for the iPhone.
VNC Lite works well and the price is right.
aSubnet comes in handy when you're trying to calculate subnets
  msilver's Photo
Posted Nov 12 2009 04:04 PM

A couple of weekends ago, I was on call, and away from my laptop. I got paged, and used the iPhone's built-in PPTP VPN connection over the 3G network to connect to an internal webpage to help a user out. Mobile Safari lets me use company webmail just fine, and I was able to see the company intranet to look up someone's phone number.

I tried one of the very early SSH applications and a VNC application on my original iPhone, and that was slow enough to discourage me. I'll have to give it another shot on this fancy new phone.
+ 1
  robotarmy's Photo
Posted Nov 13 2009 09:52 AM

I personally have found LogMeIn to be the best remote access app I've ever used.

The server for both mac and windows appears free; they only charge for the iPhone app.

I've added just about every server I have to admin to it, and I've done very productive things from my iPhone.

I had to do multi-hour encoding of some video, and I was able to use the iPhone to keep the queue going.

Best $30 I've spend in the app store, seriously.

http://itunes.apple....d299616801?mt=8

https://secure.logme...gnition/iphone/
 : Nov 13 2009 04:07 PM
Connectbot for SSH and AndFTP for FTP Client (via @v6tc)
  zenlunacy's Photo
Posted Nov 13 2009 04:37 PM

I use iSSH (for iPhone). It's newer than TouchTerm and has most features of the more expensive TouchTerm Pro version. I found it very easy to configure and use. Their website lists the key differences between the popular ssh apps: http://www.zinger-so...H_features.html
  timoreilly's Photo
Posted Nov 13 2009 05:58 PM

When I posted this question to twitter, @rom answered: iStat to monitor. pTerm to SSH. MochaVNC lite for others. #iphone #sysad
 : Nov 13 2009 07:25 PM
I use the Jaadu RDP client to remotely administer my W2k servers. Absolutely the best RDP client available on the iPhone or any other mobile platform. The interface is great, properly utilizing multitouch to navigate and control the remote screen amazingly well, even with a tiny screen. Jaadu also makes a good VNC client for the iPhone.
  chris_stone's Photo
Posted Nov 14 2009 11:25 AM

I use iSSH and Mocha VNC lite from time to time for work, though always have my laptop with me when on call anyway so tend to just use it. I used to use WiFinder quite a bit to check my APs around the campus (easier than walking around with an open laptop running Stumbler), but that app was withdrawn from the Apple Store for using private APIs. (I just looked again and found WiFiTrack, which I'll give a try)

We were using a regular pager to receive our nagios alerts, but when we found its coverage getting spottier for some reason, we moved to using a regular cell phone for SMS. We did consider getting smart devices that could receive alerts and have apps allowing us to handle the issues, but again, since we are all accustomed to having our laptops with us anyway (with EVDO cards), we went with just a cheap phone.

Certainly in a pinch, I can get work done on an iPhone, but if the stuff's really hitting the fan and something needs fixing fast, I don't want to be battling a tiny interface, or squinting at output from top or an apache config file in vi, especially when I can just open my MacBook.
 : Nov 14 2009 12:15 PM
Jaadu and iStat are wonderful. They work and are very easy to set up and use. We also use RemotePatrol to see if anyone has been snooping around the Server too
  jerrycalks's Photo
Posted Jul 07 2010 11:58 PM

I read articles about the FaceTime for iPhone which many said will be of use by many businesses.
  Charles Elena's Photo
Posted Jun 23 2011 03:50 AM

I think TouchTerm Pro is a best. It's for SSh client for iOS(which powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch), which lets you connect remotely to any Unix/Linux server and perform any kind of tasks via the command console.
  rkudiyarov's Photo
Posted Nov 15 2012 09:36 PM

In addition, there is a good ssh client for Android and iPhone platforms called Server Auditor (www.serverauditor.com) . I tried it with screen, vim, emacs and it works really great, now it's even free. Give it a try it really different to others.