How to Configure Proxy Settings in Windows 7

onwindows's Photo
Posted Nov 13 2009 10:12 AM

Many organizations today use proxies to protect their users from intrusion and to use smaller amounts of publicly routed IP addresses. A proxy is a server that sits between you and the Internet. It receives all client requests to the Internet, fulfills the request itself, and then sends the information to the client. When creating network connections, you may need to configure a proxy in order to gain access to the Internet or other external servers.

Windows 7 offers support for adding proxies inside Internet Explorer’s settings. You can configure the proxy server and port to support the different protocols you use for accessing services that require a proxy within your organization.

Note

If you use a different web browser, such as Mozilla Firefox, that browser may have its own proxy settings that you must configure using its settings or options dialog. Some browsers, such as Google Chrome, use the system-wide proxy settings that you learn to configure in this section.

You can enable or disable proxy settings on a per-connection basis as well as for the LAN. You should enable proxy settings only when using a proxy is required. If you enable proxy settings and a proxy is not required, you won’t be able to use the related connection to access the Internet or resources on your network. This happens because your computer will look for a proxy that isn’t there. Malware programs sometimes target your proxy settings, and you may have to enable or disable these settings as a result.

You can configure a proxy for a LAN connection by completing these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click Network and Internet, and then click Internet Options.

3. In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Connections tab.

4. Click the LAN Settings button.

5. To enable the use of a proxy server, check the box for “Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections),” as shown in Figure 17.16.

6. Enter the IP address of the proxy in the Address text box.

7. Enter the port number of the proxy in the Port text box.

8. If you want to bypass the proxy server for local IP addresses, select the “Bypass proxy server for local addresses” checkbox.

9. Click OK to complete the proxy configuration process.

Figure 17.16. Configuring LAN proxy settings as necessary

Attached Image

You can configure a proxy for a dial-up or VPN connection by completing these steps:

1. Click Start→Control Panel. Click Network and Internet→Internet Options→ Connections tab.

2. Under Dial-up and Virtual Private Network Settings, click the connection you want to work with and then click Settings.

3. In the Connection Settings dialog box, enable the use of a proxy server by checking the box for “Use a proxy server for this connection (These settings will not apply to other connections).”

4. Enter the IP address of the proxy in the Address text box.

5. Enter the port number of the proxy in the Port text box.

6. Click OK to complete the proxy configuration process.

Whenever you change network connection settings, you should verify that you can establish a connection and access resources. If you are having difficulty connecting to the Internet after changing your connection settings, check your proxy settings in Internet Options to enable or disable your proxy configuration as appropriate for each connection.

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide

Learn more about this topic from Windows 7: The Definitive Guide.

This book provides everything you need to manage and maintain Windows 7. You'll learn all of the features and enhancements in complete detail, along with specifics for configuring the operating system to put you in full control. Bestselling author and Windows expert William Stanek doesn't just show you the steps you need to follow, he also tells you how features work, why they work, and how you can customize them to meet your needs.

See what you'll learn

3 Replies

Pantsios's Photo
Posted Jun 05 2011 09:47 PM

I do all this things Mr O'Reilly but the proxy server is not installed on my explorer :( it doesnt happen all of the time i actually check the last 2 boxes but the moment i click ok to the 2 windows and i open them again to check whats the case everything is like i havent done any setting everything is unchecked .....
Thnx in advance!
  presiden daniel's Photo
Posted Sep 13 2011 11:46 PM

hi sir, i had simillar problem too, i'd like to ask something about that. what if the browser e.g mozilla or chrome request user and password when we using that configured proxy. then where we can store that user pass in the internet option windows built in? thank you very much

daniel too
  A97dj's Photo
Posted Nov 13 2013 06:51 PM

I am have a problem with my proxy server settings: I cant go on the internet, when I try to open connections LAN settings wont let me change the proxy settings. I have a Dell Insprion N7010, w 750gb hd, Windows 7. I have a photo in word attached to show that I cant change settings. I have run Avast for virus's and still not able to go on net or change proxy settings.Attached File  AProxyProblem.doc (944.5K)
Number of downloads: 442