Do any DIY'ers have a plan for building LED styled lighting for the video production community?

filmbilly's Photo
Posted Nov 13 2009 12:18 PM

LED lighting is fast becoming a viable, efficient, green alternative to tungston, hmi and fluorescent production lighting for the film and video industries. The LED lighting sources are cool (they don't heat up rooms and make the talent sweat), they use 95% less energy, they are dimmable and can change color temperature with the twist of a knob, can run AC or DC and have a lamp life of over 50,000 hours. There are many advantages to LED lighting systems but they are prohibitively expensive for many video producers. A 1x1 foot light panel costs about $1700 dollars and when working with the fixtures they feel like they were purchased at Walmart. I am wondering if anyone has a plan for DIY LED lights.

Examples:

http://www.bhphotovi...5600K_1x1_.html

http://www.litepanels.com/

http://www.filmandvi.../roliledli.html

9 Replies

+ 1
  MarcdeVinck's Photo
Posted Nov 13 2009 01:16 PM

Check out Peggy. It can power, and control up to 625 LEDs! It's open-source, and totally hackable.

http://www.makershed...ductCode=MKEMS3
 : Nov 13 2009 03:44 PM
Marc,

Peggy is great! I am guessing that you can dim and change color temperature etc. Do you know the dimensions of the unit? Can several of these be controlled by one micro controller? Mounting several of these together to create a single fixture would be fantastic. Create a frame and yoke and you're cookin' with gas!
  DonWW's Photo
Posted Jun 18 2010 07:40 PM

Perhaps an LED floodlight would suit your needs? The DIY holiday lighting community has a few designs like this one that fits a standard 150W halogen lamp fixture. The development is discussed here.

You can find boards for controlling/dimming this and other LED fixtures at DoItYourselfChristmas.com. I'd suggest looking mostly at DMX boards as simple stand-alone DMX controllers are available from music dealers - they're popular with DJ's and bands.
  jiechuang's Photo
Posted Jul 09 2012 11:18 PM

innovative lighting technology makes home lighting dimming more easy and fun
As a energy efficient light source,led lights emerge everywhere,home,street,tree,pool,hotel .yes,everwhere you can imagine.
A problem follows with these applications:how can we more easily control so many led lights?
The right light can make evening hours safer and more enjoyable. then the dimming control is a must for us to forge a suitable sphere.
With a funny party, maybe we want a great led light effects backgrounded with high music.
in the exibition room, we want a different scenario.
I found a solution from web address:Full Touch RGBY/RGBW LED Controller For Ipad Iphone Android,that is a really cool stuff. control from touchpad~
you may like that
  lilymarlene's Photo
Posted Feb 23 2013 08:15 AM

Led lightning is a very energy efficient light source, in a couple of years everyone will have these kind of installations in their homes. I bought Peggy installation for our office and everyone liked it, one of the workers suggested to Buy Kratom to make our office fancier, we will discuss this issue at the next meeting.
  lennardgarnett's Photo
Posted Jul 26 2013 03:17 AM

I am remodeling my house and would love to install a LED styled lighting in my home, the guys from remodeling contractors Denver should know how to do this. I changed all the light bulbs from my house with LED because they are more efficient and last longer, a friend of mine created a device to change the color temperature and it looked lovely.
  ericgarton2's Photo
Posted Jul 26 2013 04:49 AM

My son is very passionate about lighting systems and he has installed in the house a LED styled system, I liked it so much and decided to install such lights in the bathroom, the guys from the Bathroom Remodel Pasadena MD finished the remodel and I decided to make the bathroom design more special. I have installed also a lighting system in the living room, the lighting system is connected to the stereo sound system and the lights turn on and off depending on the music, it looks amazing.
  malichik's Photo
Posted Feb 26 2014 10:09 AM

I was always interested about innovative lighting technology and using a micro controller would make it more interesting, LED lights consume less power and this allows me to save money. I installed such a system in the living room and my wife liked it a lot, she told me I should visit http://www.flooringamerica.com/ and check for their hardwood flooring ideas, it would look great with the LED lighting system installed in the living room.
  Adam21's Photo
Posted Apr 11 2014 11:19 AM

DIY LED Lighting is a complicated process that requires a bit of basic understanding of electrical wiring, soldering and the like. For video production, LEDs are commonly configured into panels that can be used for a variety of applications. Whether you need accent lighting or decorative lighting, or simply lighting to see, the type of LED panels or lighting configurations you need will change.

Currently there are some designers and decorators that have experience with LED lighting and the electrical work behind it, you just need to make the right calls. I know that Epic Home Improvements is a company that works with LED lighting for their design applications, and they have had to figure out most of the important stuff on their own with their electricial expertise. Anyone from there would be happy to answer basic questions about LEDs and how they can be used for myriad lighting applications.

Personally, I have tangled with some different ideas for LED lighting for decorative lights and other fun applications, but for video production, it is hard to substitute existing lighting with strong enough LED lights. I think the technology is really close, but I am not sure it will be easy to completely supplement exsiting video production lighting with LED alternatives.