What do you use as your home page/portal?

todisht's Photo
Posted Dec 01 2009 06:37 AM

I've been using Netvibes for several years now. It does a good job. I also tried PageFlakes for a while but had to switch back because it got too unstable. What's your favorite?

Tags:
1 Subscribe

9 Replies

juliesteele's Photo
Posted Dec 01 2009 09:54 AM

I used iGoogle for a while, but wasn't really thrilled with it. PageFlakes looks pretty nice, and I might use that if I were inclined to use a portal at all.

Instead, I keep a tabbed browser window open with different tabs for gmail, Twitter, the NYTimes, etc. and check in on them a few times a day. Gmail (and now Twitter too) shows me in the tab how many unread items are waiting for me, so at a glance I can see how much I have to "catch up on".

Call me old-fashioned, but I find it easier on my attention span to do things this way. I really don't need widgets to tell me about the time (I have a clock), the weather (I have actual windows), or the Quote of the Day (I have Facebook). ;)
--
Julie Steele
Acquisitions Editor
O'Reilly Media, Inc.
jsteele@oreilly.com
--
AIM/Skype: JSteeleEditor
Twitter: @jsteeleeditor
  kevin.suttle's Photo
Posted Dec 01 2009 01:51 PM

I have used Netvibes for a number of years. The new Wasabi interface upgrade is very promising. I've tried PageFlakes and iGoogle, but I keep coming back to Netvibes.
  MKulpa@ENTS's Photo
Posted Dec 01 2009 02:33 PM

I'm wholeheartedly agree with Julie, iGoogle was neat... I suppose, but ultimately chrome just handles my tabs so well I just leave them open. Sure they're not all in one "easy to use" window, but clicking on a tab isn't that much work either.
Michael Kulpa
Edmonton New Technology Society
Michaelk@ENTS.ca
  bjepson's Photo
Posted Dec 01 2009 05:30 PM

I'm fond of the Top Sites page in Safari, especially the ability to save bookmarks directly to the Top Sites page.

In Google Chrome, I like the New Tab page, which shows thumbnails for recently-visited sites.
  allogarage's Photo
Posted Dec 09 2009 10:53 AM

I prefer using blank page, and click on my personal toolbar favorites, because I never go at the same location each time I open Firefox, and also because I never quit Firefox...
  simonstl's Photo
Posted Dec 09 2009 12:53 PM

I use my own server's aggregation page. Apart from reminding me what I've done recently, it's a quick way to notice if my server's misbehaving.
  mike-loukides's Photo
Posted Dec 10 2009 02:51 PM

I don't. I really don't care what the browser's home page setting is. I just type what I want into the URL field or the search field, and go directly there. I've never found the concept of a "home page" all that useful.
  gregorywest's Photo
Posted Dec 14 2009 01:21 PM

I use iGoogle
http://www.google.co...en&answer=20324
 : Dec 15 2009 11:45 AM
I just stumbled across Start.Io, and it looks very promising.