Is Joomla the best way to get components like contact forms, a search field, etc.

crowoman's Photo
Posted Jan 14 2010 02:52 PM

I'm a newbie web designer who has some experience using Dreamweaver and Flash. I'm teaching myself via online tutorials. I just started a new set of tutorials on Joomla! and I've begun to wonder if the main features that excited me about Joomla! (namely contact forms and the search feature) could be obtained by downloading Dreamweaver plug-ins. I'm getting that Joomla! is most widely used for its CMS properties and that's not what I need the most right now.

Thanks!

2 Replies

: Jan 17 2010 12:49 PM
Thank you very much Severdia. That's what I needed to know. I'll continue on with my Joomla! tutorials and not waste time! :)
  severdia's Photo
Posted Jan 22 2010 04:36 PM

The Dreamweaver plug-ins will only get you so far. What's usually missing is the back-end processing. You can easily set up things like a contact form to use PHP or a CGI script to mail the fields. But once you get into Search and other more complex functionality, you'll need more than Dreamweaver (using HTML) will provide. That's why Joomla does such a great job. The amount of time you'd spend on learning how to set that up in Joomla (it's actually VERY easy), you could waste a lot longer finding the right script of plug-in, testing it, and customizing it for your site. The amount of time doesn't compare.

I just posted a blog post on setting up search in Joomla:

http://broadcast.ore...p-site-sea.html
Author of Using Joomla